CIGo Asia/Pacific—Q1 2009
Prior to 2001, not many CIOs would have expected that an Indian company would be a key strategic vendor. The downturn in 2001 saw drastic reductions in technology spend and an explosion in offshoring to drive more value per dollar. Until recently, the key outsourcing players were positioning for another surge in growth. However, the revelations around Satyam have created a significant disruption for many CIOs. The shake-up that will likely follow will mean that CIOs must not only be ever more vigilant about managing their vendor portfolio and the transitions that will take place, but also enhance their relationships with legal and corporate affairs teams.
CIGo (highlights January – March 2009)
- Marcus Heron has stepped down as IT Solutions General Manager after 19 years with Corporate Express.
- Ole Martin Gunhildsbu was formally appointed to the role of Chief Technology Officer of DiGi Telecommunications. He had been acting Chief Technology Officer since November 2008 when his predecessor left to take a new role within the Telenor Group.
- Tam Vu was recruited by Melbourne IT, the Australian domain name and web hosting specialist, to lead a range of IT transformations. Most recently, he was the Chief Information Officer of seek.com.au.
National Australia Bank
- Adam Bennett was appointed Chief Information Officer of National Australia Bank after a restructure by Cameron Clyne, the bank’s new Chief Executive. Previously, Mr Bennett was General Manager, Banking and Delivery Services at Bank of New Zealand.
- Olaf Pietschner, News Ltd’s IT and Business Solutions Director, has joined Origin Energy as Chief Information Officer. He has an extensive IT services and consulting background within Australia and Europe, including Senior Management stints at Capgemini and Deloitte.
- Daniel Oertli was appointed Chief Information Officer at the REA Group. Previously, Mr Oertli was head of IT at online financial trading firm CMC Markets Australia.
St George Bank
- St George Bank has created two new Chief Information Officer roles to be filled by Phil Soutter, former General Manager of IT production, and Dhiren Kulkarni, former General Manager of application development. Their new roles will be divided along hardware/software lines consistent with their previous roles.
Westpac Banking Corporation
- David Backley ended his 12 year stint with the bank and will reportedly focus on his PhD at UTS.